There are a lot of amazing nutrition podcasts out there, some even produced by dietitians. But how many of them are actually made exclusively for dietitians? Let us introduce you to Dietitians Only! The Dietitians Only podcast, produced by Dietitians On Demand, is the perfect balance of sass, science and sincerity. On the Dietitians Only podcast, our hosts zero in on the two topics we’re dedicated to: clinical nutrition and dietetic careers. Dietitians can expect approachable conversations about topics that impact their everyday lives.
What topics are discussed on the podcast?
- Episode 1: ECMO. What to do when the heart AND lungs are failing? Enter: ECMO. This critical care therapy can be lifesaving. It can also complicate your feeding plan.
- Episode 2: How to Beef Up Your Resume. Whether you are working on your first resume or your fortieth, this episode will provide you with some tips and tricks of the trade, straight from the playbooks of our Dietitians On Demand recruiters.
- Episode 3: Hypothermia Protocol. It’s exactly what it sounds like—cooling a patient’s body temperature down to a hypothermic state. Tune in to find out why we do this and what it means for your nutrition plan of care.
- Episode 4: You’ve Been Asked to Interview. Now What? We will take you behind the scenes at Dietitians On Demand to provide you with all the ammo you need to prepare for and ace your next interview.
- Episode 5: Top 5 COVID FAQs. During the COVID-19 pandemic, dietitians have had to adapt at a breakneck pace. We’ve learned a lot, but there’s still so much to discover.
- Episode 6: Negotiating Salary – What’s in a Number? We dive into the once taboo topic of salary and compensation and provide you with some handy resources (and dose of courage) to land the job AND salary you deserve.
- Episode 1: Rare Conditions with Nutrition Implications – Chyle Leaks. Did you know nutrition management is often the first-line approach for managing a chyle leak? Dietitians can take the lead in managing this rare condition with highly specialized medical nutrition therapy.
- Episode 2: Current Job Trends for Dietitians – How COVID is Reshaping the Job Marketing. COVID has upended the job market, and it’s like nothing we’ve ever seen before. In this episode, Lyndel reviews how the job market has evolved since 2020 and what she thinks may be in store for the future.
- Episode 3: Everything You Need to Know About Indirect Calorimetry. Despite being the gold standard for estimating energy needs, indirect calorimetry is rarely used by most dietitians. In fact, indirect calorimetry is often reserved for complex clinical situations or for ultra-tailored nutrition prescriptions. The usefulness of indirect calorimetry in most clinical settings is still debated.
- Episode 4: Build and Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile. Why should dietitians have a LinkedIn profile? For some, LinkedIn is viewed as a platform to help you find a job, or to help recruiters find you when you are looking for a job. The key is to build and enhance your profile often so that when you are ready to job seek, you’ve ensured your profile is fully optimized for recruiters to find you and want to select you for the job. Need a refresher?
- Episode 5: How to Wean a TPN. In this episode, we’re leaning into weaning…a TPN, that is. When you’re ready to discontinue a TPN, you need to do so in a safe and strategic manner. We discuss all the steps and considerations when you’re ready to wean.
- Episode 6: Yes, Consulting Can Be a Lucrative Career. Are you curious about what it’s like to consult as a career and break into the freedom and flexibility you’ve always dreamed about? In this episode, we are talking about the benefits of consulting and how to go from dabbling to a full-fledged consulting career.
- Episode 7: What is IDDSI? The International Dysphagia Diet Standardization Initiative (IDDSI) was created as a global safety initiative to standardize modified diets for those with dysphagia. IDDSI has more levels than the National Dysphagia Diet and can be better customized to a patient’s needs. Transitioning to IDDSI at your facility requires total buy-in and support from the whole team.
- Episode 8: Mind the [Employment] Gap – How to Tackle a Gap in Employment or a Shift in Your Career to Land a New Job. We are pulling back the curtain to let you know how dietitians can successfully move forward after a gap, or several gaps, in employment. Or if you’ve ever thought about transitioning from one area of dietetics to another, but the thought terrifies you, we have some suggestions on how to tackle that as well.
If you have a topic you’d like us to discuss, email your ideas to us at email@example.com.
Meet the hosts of Dietitians Only
This podcast is 100 percent by dietitians and for dietitians, and it features two of our very favorite dietitians from DOD HQ. Our first host is Lyndel Schuster, MS, RD. Lyndel is the Director of Account Management at Dietitians On Demand. Over the years, she’s hired hundreds of dietitians. She’s also worked in several different areas within the dietetics field. So, Lyndel brings the career expertise to the table.
“I’m hoping we can become a valuable resource for dietitian-only content that is both informative and easy to digest. Sometimes just a quick review is all you need to get motivated to make a change!” Lyndel said.
Sara Glanz, MS, RD, LD, CNSC is our second podcast host. Sara is the Corporate Dietitian at Dietitians On Demand. Sara is our clinical expert, having worked in several different clinical roles throughout her career. For the Dietitians Only podcast, Sara will be diving into some less-familiar clinical topics to discuss what they are and how they impact our nutrition plan of care. Hopefully, our clinical-focused episodes will help dietitians feel more confident and prepared in unfamiliar situations.
Why a podcast?
Dietitians On Demand has been the go-to source for dietitians who want trustworthy information that is fun and easy to understand. The new Dietitians Only podcast is no exception. Our episodes are short enough for a morning commute or evening workout. And rather than listening to a dry lecture, we’ll give you practical tips laced with a few laughs.
Sometimes, you need some quick info when treating a patient with an unfamiliar condition. Or maybe you’re a single site dietitian and just need a second opinion on a tricky situation. Or perhaps you’re re-entering the job market after a break and are wondering what will give you a boost as you prepare to interview for your dream job. Whatever the case, we’re here to support you in your career.
Ready to listen? Dietitians Only can be found here or on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts. Be sure to subscribe so you’ll be notified when we release new episodes.
Dietitians On Demand is a nationwide staffing and recruiting company for registered dietitians, specializing in short-term, temporary and permanent-hire positions in acute care, long term care and food service positions. We’re dedicated to dietitians and helping them enhance their practice and excel in the workplace. Check out our job openings, request your coverage, or visit our store today!