Professional Development | Sep 19 2018
19 questions to ask to rock your first day as a consultant dietitian
So, you’ve landed a new assignment as a consultant dietitian —congrats! Here’s what you need to ask so you can shine on your first day.
Before the first day
- What’s the dress code?
- What time should I arrive?
- Where should I meet my supervisor?
- Are there any special instructions regarding parking?
On the first day
- Where is my office or desk located? (Is this where I will be stationed?)
- How do I get to the patient units?
- What are the screening procedures? Or, how do you know which patients need to be seen?
- How soon do consults and/or nutrition risk triggers need to be completed?
- When/How soon are follow-ups scheduled?
- Do the dietitians write orders? If so, for what specifically?
- How do I contact the physicians?
- Are there patient rounds or meetings I need to attend? If so, when and where?
- Do I need to record my clinical productivity? If so, how?
- Request a copy of the enteral and parenteral formularies.
- How do I access patient education materials?
- What type of patient foodservice does the hospital have? (i.e., room service, traditional trayline, patient select menu, etc.)
- Request a copy of the patient menu and inquire about meal times.
- Take notes during your tutorial of the electronic medical record so you can work more independently in the future.
Dietitians On Demand is a nationwide staffing and recruiting company for registered dietitians, specializing in short-term, temporary and permanent-hire positions in acute care, long term care and food service positions. We’re dedicated to dietitians and helping them enhance their practice and excel in the workplace. Check out our job openings, request your coverage, or visit our store today!
Who we are
Dietitians On Demand is the nationwide leader in providing dietitians with jobs they love. If flexibility, competitive pay, a full benefits package, free CPEUs each month and a team dedicated to dietitians sound good to you, apply to our positions today.