About DOD, Hiring Dietitians, Professional Development | Feb 11 2019
Five things you didn’t know your dietitian could do
Here at Dietitians On Demand, we’re pretty sure dietitians are the coolest people around. They are crazy smart (have you ever seen those predictive equations?), versatile (going from the ICU to the walk-in cooler like it’s nothing), and totally cool under pressure (a dozen clients, two meetings, and a catering event … check). Dietitians are way more than meal plans, and they are definitely not the diet police. Here’s just a few of the superpowers dietitians possess.
5. Dietitians can complete a physical exam. That’s right, patients! That pro walking into your hospital room wearing scrubs with a stethoscope and a pen light is a dietitian! Completing nutrition-focused physical exams helps dietitians see the whole picture and assess a patient on a deeper level. With physical exams, dietitians can be alerted to muscle loss, swelling, strength and physical function, and even vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
4. Dietitians can help you run faster and jump higher. Many collegiate and professional sports teams have hired dietitians to help their athletes perform at a higher level. You may be surprised to know that most athletes don’t eat enough variety in their diets. (Protein, anyone?) Dietitians can fix that with individual and team education sessions, fuel stations, and pre- and post-game meals and snacks. The best part? A dietitian is highly educated and trained, only giving advice when it’s backed by science and research. You’re welcome.
3. Dietitians make sure you get the most out of your grocery shopping. Several large grocery store chains have dietitians on staff, which makes complete sense. Dietitians educate customers on healthy choices with food demos, flyers, displays, and even one-on-one counseling. Dietitians are right there when consumers need them the most — you know, when they’re choosing their food for the next several days.
2. Dietitians feed your kids. If you have a child (or know one or were one) who eats breakfast or lunch at school, it’s very possible that a dietitian helped plan that meal. There are strict standards when it comes to school breakfasts and lunches, and dietitians skillfully navigate them all. School meals have come a long way in recent years. They are healthier, more palatable, and visually appealing. Many times, children are introduced to new foods, including fruits and vegetables, at school. And when dietitians get creative, kids benefit.
Struggling with that to feed your child? Dietitians can help you teach healthy eating patterns to your little one, and give you the tools you need to feel confident in the nutrition decisions you make.
1. Everything! We meant it when we said dietitians have super powers. They are trained and qualified to provide tailored nutrition advice and recommendations to every person at any age under any circumstance. Dietitians are passionate about nutrition and the impact it has on health and well-being, disease management and prevention, and quality of life. So the next time you have questions about what you should (or could) be eating, look for someone with that “RD” credential, and you’ll have yourself a Rockstar Dietitian.
Dietitians On Demand is a nationwide staffing and recruiting company for registered dietitians, specializing in short-term, temporary and permanent-hire positions in acute care, long term care and food service positions. We’re dedicated to dietitians and helping them enhance their practice and excel in the workplace. Check out our job openings, request your coverage or visit our store today!
Who we are
Dietitians On Demand is the nationwide leader in providing dietitians with jobs they love. If flexibility, competitive pay, a full benefits package, free CPEUs each month and a team dedicated to dietitians sound good to you, apply to our positions today.